On August 31, Air Force Maj. Norman Schmidt (Norm) (captured on September 1st, 1966) had been in ankle socks for 10 days in the Desert Inn Cell he shared with Harry Jenkins, Bob Schumaker and Air Force Capt. Lou Makowski (captured October 6th, 1966). His offense: Looking through a crack in a bath stall wall.

Were POWs Abandoned?

by: SRO Ted Guy

Until 1990, I believed that all the POWs were released during Operation Homecoming in 1973. I maintained this belief until 1990. In fact, I gave many, many talks around the country about the POW issue. My closing remarks were always the same: "All the POWs are home that are coming home and the rest (MIAs) are dead".

You see, I firmly believed that my government would not lie to me. In early 1990, after talking to many family members of POWs and MIAs, I began having doubts. What followed was a thorough re-examination of the whole issue. The more I listened instead of talking, the more I read, then the more the odds swung towards the fact that YES, there were POWs left behind (abandoned) and YES, there was evidence that some might still be alive. Since that time I have spoken repeatedly of the need to learn the truth and my position has been published and/or quoted by the media.

Hello fellow Internet surfer and welcome to The Hanoi Hilton. I'm very glad that you made it this far . . . and I hope that you'll stick around long enough to get to know just a little bit more about the prison camps and some POW's confined within. These days, acquaintances that begin in cyberspace are often the most real, vivid, and long-lasting - and maybe that will be true of us.

I am a retired Air Force fighter jock, with over two hundred and fifty combat missions, both in Korea and Vietnam. On March 20, 1968, while on a mission in Southern Laos, I was zapped by the North Vietnamese Communists and became their guest in the various resorts in Laos and in and around Hanoi, North Vietnam. Apparently, I complained too much about the service, or lack thereof, and spent almost four of the next five years in solitary confinement. During this time, I had the honor of being the commander (Senior Ranking Officer) of those captured in South Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. In our group we had State Department employees, members of all service branches, and even two West German nurses, one of which was a lovely young lady named Monika. You must admit, this was a very unusual and diverse group, but let me say it was the finest command I ever had in my 26 years of service. We were known as "Hawk's Heros."

After your tour here visit my homepage at: Ted Guy

A Message From Col "Swede" Larson, Former PoW - Hanoi Vietnam.

It is with deep regret, that I inform you of the death of Col. Ted Guy. He passed away today, 23 April 1999, from complications associated with Lukemia. He only lived 6 months from the time of his first symptoms. He is survived by his wife Linda, two step daughters, two son's, and a brother.

Since most of you did not know Ted, and a few misunderstood him, I am going to ask your indulgence, and tell you a little about him, since I was his very close friend for 44 years.

We first met at Luke Air Force base in 1955 as young Captains instructing fighter gunnery. He had previously completed a combat tour in Korea, flying F-84's. He and I had three things in common. We both loved to fly, party, and fish. Over the years we stayed in close touch, and after his retirement, we fished together many times.

He was assigned to South Vietnam in F-4's while I was in Thailand flying out-country missions, in F-105's. When he showed up in Hanoi, I couldn't fathom how he had gotten there. After we were released, I learned that he was shot down during the battle at Khe Sanh, bailed out and captured in Laos by the North Vietnamese (they were never in Laos! -yah, right!). On the second day of his capture while he was starting his walk to Hanoi, he was heavily sprayed with Agent Orange. In the ensuing days, he walked through many areas that had been previously defoliated.

As he was captured in Laos, he was kept away from the rest of us and spent his first 3 years in solitary confinement. He was then put in with the 100 plus, Army and civilian prisoners and was the Senior Officer. He had his hands full with a group of very young, non-motivated and rebellious enlisted men. Unlike our group, (after the death of HO), he was badly treated by his captors, almost up to our release. He was badly beaten during this time for acting as SRO and on one occasion, suffered severe head injuries, which several years later resulted in his being medically discharged from the service. He had been on the "fast track" prior to shoot down, and had been promoted to Lt. Col. below the zone. To my knowledge, he was the only POW promoted (to 06) below the zone while a POW. Those concussions he suffered forced his early retirement.

He was not an active member of our group, primarily because he did not know or serve with any of us in Hanoi. He also felt that even though our group elected to be non-political, we should have made an exception and taken a prominent stand as a potential powerful lobby group, to demand a full accounting of the MIA's. He was an individual of deep loyalties, and a boundless love of his country and flag. He stood up tall against those he felt were in the wrong.

His medical specialists felt that his Lukemia was a direct result of his repeated heavy exposures to Agent Orange. The Veterans Administration however, in their infinite wisdom felt otherwise, and denied his emergency claim for Agent Orange disabilities. (Hence no DIC for his wife).

He ended up loosing a promising military career and suffered an early end to his life, in his service to his country. I shall truly miss him. Thanks for your indulgence.

GBU Ted.



Col. Guy's Last Piece of Advice for Everyone:

A little bit of advice. Remember when your Mother, doctor and everyone else told you to drink at least 6 - 8 glasses of water per day? You probably ignored them, as I did because I did not have the time. My first 10 day stay in hospital was prolonged while they pumped quart after gallon of Saline solution into me to open blood veins so IV's of antibiotic drugs could be started. But hard headed Ted learned nothing and the second admission was far worse with all veins totally collapsed. I now walk around carrying a water bottle and drink one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Also take ALL the pills/tablets you are told to. Just because you feel better, does not mean you are cured. And not taking all the medicine is one of the reasons new antibiotics and other drugs are getting harder and harder to find and infections harder and harder to cure.

Take care my friends and enjoy life to it's fullest. Hopefully, will be up to full speed very shortly on this machine.


Cards may be sent to:

Mrs. Linda Guy & Family of
Col. Ted Guy, [USAF Ret.] Former PoW
HRC 2, Box 265B
Sunrise Beach, MO., 65079

No Flowers Please.
Memorial Donations may be sent to a Cancer/Lukemia fund or a Charity of your choice in Col. Guy's name.

Interrment for Ted Guy
Sat, 19 Jun 1999
By: Col. "Swede" Larson, Former PoW

Because it was so impressive, I would like to relate a little of the ceremony and service.

The service was held in the Old Post Chapel. It was full to capacity.

In attendance was Senator Smith, Representative LeBoutillier, Red McDaniels, Jack Fellows, Mike Benge, and myself. Also 12 members of his Kemper Military institute Class of '49, and approximately 35 members of various Veterans organizations and MIA groups.

His Wife Linda and the Air Force contingent at Arlington really did him proud. In addition to the Caisson, there was a 22 piece band, 30 member Honor Guard, firing squad, and attendants, totaling approximately 70 Air Force personnel. There was a flyover provided by the Missouri National Guard. A very large POW/MIA black flag was also present. There was only one flower wreath present and it had a ribbon on it that said "4th Allied POW Wing, that was very impressive. (thanks to M2 et al).

Jerry Coffee's poem "One More Roll" was read at the service and also printed on the service program, which had the 4th POW Allied Wing crest printed in color.

Perhaps I was overly impressed because it was my first Arlington service, but I doubt any General had more than 70 Honor Guard in attendance as well as flyover. They did Ted proud!


This site was turned over to the Command of Former PoW Col. Ted W. Guy (USAF-Ret) on his Birthday,
18 APR 97.


Press Here to Enter North Vietnam's Prison Camps


This site belongs to All Former PoW, Those Still PoW/MIA & Their Families
Skip Prev | Prev | Next | Skip Next | Random | Next5
| List Sites|

Want to join the "We Remember Web Ring"

All Content (c) 1986- Ted Guy, Jr., Linda Guy and Col. Gordon "Swede" Larson
All Else (c) 1986- Joe Oliver and SOFTVision Concepts, USA
All Parties Rights Are Reserved Internationally

Hosted by Crock Web